It’s not a secret that I’ve been designing all of my recent wordpress projects on the Genesis framework (you may have even seen some of my buzz about it on twitter), but I think that it’s finally time for me to sit down and explain what’s going on in my web design studio.
When I started offering blog design services in 2010, I was building all of my client websites or blogs on wordpress using the Thematic framework. I started out using it because it came highly recommended, I knew how to customize and add elements to it, and it was free. It took me a few weeks to learn how to get around and make changes to the code (php is a bit different from the html + css only websites I had built in the past), and the first site I built using Thematic was my very own blog. I can remember how ecstatic I was when I finally launched it, and after all of the blood, sweat, and tears- it was up and running beautifully. I now have 50+ completed web projects built using Thematic.
I am always on the lookout for new blogs and web designers (especially other females designers) who share a similar design style as my own, and I started noticing that a lot of these blogs and designers were using the genesis framework. I did a lot of research on genesis, as well as on other popular frameworks, and after hearing a lot of great things about it-I was ready to dive in. I purchased genesis and started designing my blog (aka the guinea pig, lol). I loved all of the extras and new widgets Genesis provided right out of the box, and I decided to begin using it exclusively for all future wordpress projects.
Soon after I started offering it to my clients, and started making some new genesis friends and contacts, I heard about the Creativity Included Team (by the awesome Chris Ford) that was starting up. I crossed my fingers and applied, then a couple of weeks later I received an email letting me know that I’d made the team. Yay!! (Don’t forget to check out the other 9 designers and developers that also made the team- there’s a lot of talent in the group and I really look forward to working with them =) The Creativity Included Team is “a community of people who create female-focused designs with the Genesis framework, and who showcase the best of Genesis design and development. “-Creativity Included. Right up my alley, eh? I must admit, after checking out what kind of work the other team members are producing, I feel right at home on this team- and it’s a great feeling.
So what’s so darn special about this Genesis framework anyways? Using Genesis allows me to add more out-of-the-box design elements to my designs, and I think that this makes a big difference- especially when it comes to blogging. Check out my quick list of favorites (all of these are being used on my blog currently):
- enews widget- allows readers to subscribe by email using their feedburner username. No plugin needed, yeah!
- favicon with theme- with thematic, I would have to log into the client’s hosting account to install the favicon. Now I can design a favicon and drop it right into the theme’s folder- no separate install necessary.
- author box- I was previously using a signature plugin to display a signature image below all posts, but Genesis offers a nice little author box that can be displayed with an image and text.
- secondary navigation- I think this is a great option for bloggers who would like to display some of their most popular categories or archives.
- optional widget area in navigation-Great for the date or a searchbox
- twitter box- This one really needs no explanation. Before, I was pulling my hair out trying to customize twitter plugins that I had downloaded, but I was never satisfied with the results so I never used them. Genesis offers a nice little twitter widget with just enough options, and customization is super easy now.
I am currently working on premade themes that will be available in the shop, so stay tuned! I’m quite excited to make this available to those of you who would love a new blog look designed for a much cheaper price tag of $79.95.
If you are one of my past clients who are reading this and you feel like you are ready for an upgrade or new look- I want to offer you a 20% discount on a new blog design package built with Genesis. Get in touch for more details!
So that’s what’s been going on around here in a nutshell. Minus the furniture revamps, entertaining Dax, and the few minutes of sleep, ha!
What’s new with you?